
This is about my newest obsession... House MD.(Starring Bertie Wooster, Hugh Laurie). Its currently in its fifth season..though older episodes get aired on other channels too...infact sundays there are House marathons. I am not a huge fan of American Television and would not watch TV much at home except for movies. I came here roughly 8 months back..and while surfing channels would come across this being aired. I would always wonder whats so special about a limping guy who looks desperately in need of a shave.
A month back I went visiting my cousins and they put on House everyday at a perticular time ..and it looked like they were supremely interested in the going ons. So I ask them, whats the mystery? Is there any crime, if there is..is it like medical crimes. You see, crime still interests me, but why would anybody watch medical mysteries. Ofcourse I got incredulous stares from cousins and a refusal to expain anything..so I was left to follow it on my own. One night I watched 4 episodes..and lo and behold..I was hooked..heres why.
Dr Gregory House, Head of the Infectious Diseases Deptt is the best in the country and junior residents kill to have an option to intern with him. He whines, he is sarcastic, thinks everybody lies, has no respect for patients or their pain, takes up a case only if its wierd and best of all, his House -isms shock you into laughter. He has no friends except a certain oncologist, Dr. Wilson, who also doubles up as guinea pig for stupid pranks House loves to play on him.
And those are precisely the reasons why I got addicted to this so much so that I got my husband addicted and discovered Tivo-ing only for episodes incase I miss them and feel terrible. He is sexist, believes all marriages are shams and they fail..I cant agree more!
He is so unlike american humour, ideas and loves to flout all american stereoypes ..partly because of being British, he just adds meat to the astoundingly wierd charecter. And no wonder, as the base for his charecterization was Sherlock Holmes, the best detective charecterization of all times. The similarities are intentional.
He is addicted to Vicodin, Holmes was on coke. House and Holmes are a play on the name . His methods are Sherlockish, and he encourages 'Differential Diagnosis', basically delibrations within his team and eventually goes on to use out of the box actions to resolve the mystery and his gut feeling.
He grows on you and his ruthless methods impress. He inspires a respect and you wish your bosses were like that. if only the corporate was not so politicized and you had mavericks running the show. I had once a supervisor like that and I did respec him for his genious. So heres to all those genious -pain -in -the -butt guys ..stick to your ways. No point changing for a world which wudn't care anyway. Might as well shock them into doing the right thing.
A few House -isms to get you started..and ofcourse a picture to go with it :)
"I don't ask why patients lie, I just assume they all do."
"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask."
"...there's no I in 'team'. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up."
"I was never that great a math, but next to nothing is higher than nothing, right?" "Humanity is overrated."
"Patients sometimes get better. You have no idea why, but unless you give a reason they won't pay you. Anybody notice if there's a full moon? ... let's rule out the lunar god and go from there."
"Occam's Razor. The simplest explanation is almost always somebody screwed up."
"That's a catchy diagnosis, you could dance to that."
"Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning we're idiots cause we can't figure out what's causing it."
"Never met a diagnostic study I couldn't refute."
"If he gets better, I'm right, if he dies, you're right."
"If her DNA was off by one percentage point she'd be a dolphin."
"You know me. Hostility makes me shrink up like a- I can't think of a non-sexual metaphor."
"Dying people lie too. Wish they'd worked less, been nicer, opened orphanages for kittens. If you really want to do something, you do it. You don't save it for a sound bite."
And if you want to watch some full episodes, its here
I bet you would love the ride..I cant think of a non sexual metaphor !
2 comments:
my! I am going to start downloading! Season 5 really?...Don't like Grey's Anatomy? and missy no more free loading off the neighbours anymore hee hee...rember?
Got the wireless set up and all that...hey I want the belly picture ASAP!
Hi there
Cool blog u got here.. came while blog surfing!!
Oh, we are a bunch of us-friends, family who are totally addicted to HOUSE.. i've downloaded and watched till 4th episode in Season6, pity we in india dont get to see it on air yet...
Post a Comment